- Languages: English
- Publish Date: 2010-11-16
- Last Updated On: 2017-12-07
- Skill Level: 1
- Completion Time: 1.50 - 2.00 h
- Includes Audio: yes
- Required Plugins: none
Emergency Management, Oceanography/Marine/Tsunami
- Included in Courses:
Tsunami Distance Learning Course, Pacific Desk Preparation (Level 1): Overview of Tropical Meteorology
(1062 ratings)Read or add reviews
- Describe the major triggers of tsunamis and how they generate waves.
- List the major types of tectonic plate boundaries. State which are most likely to generate tsunamis and explain why.
- Identify the earthquake and bathymetric properties most likely to contribute to large tsunamis and use them to predict how big a hypothetical tsunami will be.
- Describe the major properties of tsunami waves and how they differ from or are similar to deep- and shallow-water wind waves
- Describe how tsunamis propagate, and understand the factors that affect their direction and speed.
- Describe the various ways tsunamis can manifest themselves near or at shore, and how these effects are influenced by coastal features or source characteristics
- Understand the potential long-term effects of tsunamis.