- Languages: English
- Publish Date: 2011-08-23
- Last Updated On: 2017-12-12
- Skill Level: 0
- Completion Time: 3.00 - 4.00 h
- Includes Audio: yes
- Required Plugins: Flash
Emergency Management, Environment and Society, Oceanography/Marine/Tsunami
- Included in Courses:
Tsunami Distance Learning Course
(2 ratings)Read or add reviews
- Students will understand the basic physics of water waves (wave height, depth, amplitude, and speed) and how tsunamis represent a special type of water wave. Students will be able to calculate or predict (the increase or decrease in) one property of a wave from its other properties.
- Students will be able to describe the effects of bathymetric features on wave angle and speed (refraction, reflection, shoaling).
- Students will be able to make a basic calculation of the force in a tsunami wave and state how that relates to other more common forces they may be familiar with.
- Students will be able to describe the types of seismic and other events that can generate tsunamis.
- Students will have a basic knowledge of the earth's major plates and their locations, and understand why some faults zones are more likely generate tsunamis.
- Students will be able to recognize the natural signs of an impending tsunami at a coast.
- Students will be able to describe how tsunami warnings are disseminated by national and local agencies.
- Students will be able to determine the best tsunami evacuation locations given geographic and urban information.
- Students will be able to state locations and basic facts about several significant tsunamis that occurred between 1900 and 2011.
- Students will be able to relate the basic elements of several legends reflecting devastating tsunamis in ancient and pre-literate times.
- Students will increase their knowledge of many geographic locations by connecting them to historic tsunamis.
- Students will be able to describe the various technologies and systems involved in seismic monitoring and issuing tsunami warnings.
- Students will be able to describe community and personal preparedness measures that can be taken for potential tsunamis.