- Languages: English, French
- Publish Date: 2010-10-19
- Skill Level: 2
- Completion Time: 1.00 - 1.25
- Includes Audio: no
- Required Plugins: Flash
Numerical Modeling (NWP)
- Included in Courses:
NWP Training Series Course 2: Using and Adding Value to NWP in the Forecast Process, Review of Aeronautical Meteorology - Africa
(37 ratings)Read or add reviews
- Assess any geographic or temporal biases in the models as well as the NWP performance between short range, middle range, long range, and high impact events.
- Relate these NWP biases or errors to the root cause of these issues such as limitations in the observations or the models, model parameterizations, resolution, statistical guidance including MOS, etc.
- Distinguish when phenomena are produced in high-resolution models for physical and unphysical reasons including scale-dependence. (WES case)
- Recognize when there will be only incremental improvement in forecast skill even with large time investments. (WES case)
- Describe two situations where one can take advantage of ensemble members and probabilistic forecasts to improve the forecast.
- Recognize the role of real time verification in the forecast process.