- Languages: English, Spanish, Portuguese
- Publish Date: 2008-12-19
- Last Updated On: 2016-05-02
- Skill Level: 1
- Completion Time: 1.25 - 1.50 h
- Includes Audio: yes
- Required Plugins: none
Emergency Management, Satellite Meteorology
- Included in Courses:
GOES-R Satellites Orientation Course, Environmental Satellites and Radar
(402 ratings)Read or add reviews
After completing the module the learner will be able to:
- List several environmental hazards and phenomena where GOES-R satellite observations are expected to benefit users.
- Describe some of the key anticipated benefits as they relate to GOES-R monitoring of those same environmental hazards and phenomena.
- Describe the main GOES-R mission objectives.
- State the fundamental difference between geostationary and polar-orbiting satellites and briefly describe the advantages of each.
- List the major instruments (or instrument suites) on board the GOES-R satellites and briefly describe what each is designed to provide.
- Describe some of the GOES-R services and their significance to the overall success of the GOES-R mission.
- Describe the concept of a global observing system and the role of environmental satellites.