Anticipating and dealing with weather and the hazards it creates is a real challenge for those in departments of transportation. This module gives road and highway managers a basic understanding of meteorology and weather hazards so that they can better interpret weather forecast information used to make road management decisions. The module also highlights web-based forecast products available from the National Weather Service that can help in the decision-making process.
• Understand what creates and modifies weather
• Define common terms used in meteorology and weather forecasting
• Given two different sources of weather information, decide which one is the best to use at a given time.
• Identify which NWS data and forecast products available on the Web can be used to help make road management decisions
• For different weather events, define terms commonly used and describe conditions that make road travel hazardous.
In order to better serve our users and sponsors, access to our online materials requires registration. To learn more about registering or to get help with common questions about our site, please visit our FAQs.
Most of the material made available on MetEd is free for non-commercial, educational use. We encourage you to use our material to enhance your education and training efforts. To review the legal-speak with all the nitty gritty details, see our Legal Notices page.