* Demonstrate the advantages and limitations of using multi-sensor multispectral analysis for monitoring the fire cycle.
* Describe some of the remote sensing products and systems used for detecting and monitoring the wildland fire cycle. For each product, identify its capabilities, limitations, and applications.
* Identify the common thermal emission regions used to detect fires in both polar-orbiting and geostationary satellites.
* Identify the capabilities and limitations of geostationary vs. polar-orbiting satellites, shortwave vs. longwave imagery, and true vs. false color products in detecting and monitoring the fire cycle.
* Identify the essential steps in automated and semi-automated smoke forecasting.
* Identify the capabilities of the upcoming NPOESS VIIRS sensor with regard to the fire cycle.