- Languages: English, Spanish
- Publish Date: 2006-10-04
- Last Updated On: 2014-04-11
- Skill Level: 2
- Completion Time: 7.00 - 8.00 h
- Includes Audio: no
- Required Plugins: Flash
Convective Weather, Mesoscale Meteorology, Other
- Included in Courses:
Review of Aeronautical Meteorology, Review of Aeronautical Meteorology - Africa, Thermodynamic Meteorology, Dynamic Meteorology
(1171 ratings)Read or add reviews
The goal of this module is to teach the novice forecaster to effectively use the skew-T/log-P diagram. After completing the module, they should be able to read and interpret a sounding plotted on a skew-T/log P diagram and apply that information to a weather forecast.Performance Objectives
- Given a skew-T/log-P diagram, identify and describe the various lines.
- Given a sounding plotted on a skew-T/log-P diagram:
- Read or calculate the thermodynamic properties at various levels.
- Determine the convective levels, including the LCL, CCL, LFC, MCL, EL, and MPL.
- Determine stability indices such as LI, SSI, KI, TT, and SWEAT and use them to assess the potential for severe weather.