This module presents an overview of the climatology, formation, evolution, detection, and forecasting of polar lows. The presentation has five sections: Disturbances in Cold Air Masses; Climatology of Cold Air Vortices and Polar Lows; Monitoring and Nowcasting of Polar Lows; Polar Lows and NWP; and Forecasting Process for Polar Lows. It also includes a printable forecasting checklist.
• Recognize the synoptic scale precursors of polar lows
• Recognize the low-level surface features that are conducive to the development of polar lows
• Recognize the development of a polar lows from observations.
• Identify polar lows using satellite imagery
• Understand the limitations of model initialization and output for polar low forecasting
Topics in Polar Low Forecasting, polar lows, cold air vortices, high latitude forecasting
July 2014: This module contains good conceptual material. The operational NWP models have changed since this 2004 publication and it's possible that may have some impact on the model representation of polar lows.
Please inform us of any problem that you are having by visiting our Support Form.
In order to better serve our users and sponsors, access to our online materials requires registration. To learn more about registering or to get help with common questions about our site, please visit our FAQs.
Most of the material made available on MetEd is free for non-commercial, educational use. We encourage you to use our material to enhance your education and training efforts. To review the legal-speak with all the nitty gritty details, see our Legal Notices page.