- Languages: English
- Publish Date: 2015-09-30
- Skill Level: 2
- Completion Time: .75 - 1.00 h
- Includes Audio: no
- Required Plugins: none
- Included in Courses:
Tropical Cyclone Winds: Forecasting and Communication
(29 ratings)Read or add reviews
After completing the lesson, you will be able to:
- Assess the most likely time of onset for tropical-storm-force winds (> 34 knots) for any location within a WFO’s area of responsibility; repeat for hurricane-force winds (> 64 knots).
- Assess the most likely time of onset for the strongest winds of the event for any location within a WFO’s area of responsibility.
- Convey uncertainty information about the wind forecast at a particular location as influenced by potential errors in the forecast track, intensity, and size of an approaching TC.
- Recognize the potential wind impacts of a TC upon a WFO’s area of responsibility, and derive an appropriate wind message for societal response.
- Incorporate partner and user needs into NWS products and services to enable more effective decision-making.
- Proactively communicate with forecasters in other offices to ensure that a consistent message is created and communicated to the public