After completing the lesson, you will be able to:
- State the primary purpose of microphysical and convective parameterisation schemes in NWP models and the forecast variables directly impacted by them.
- Describe the differences between simple and complex cloud microphysics schemes.
- Adjust sensible weather forecast variables such as 2-m temperature when an NWP forecast contains cloud errors resulting from misforecast mesoscale convective features.
- Adjust forecasts to take into account the impacts of over- and underactive convective schemes on NWP forecasts.
- Identify the advantages of complex microphysics schemes in depicting precipitation features.
- Identify the elements in NWP models that have the most significant impact on precipitation forecasts in large-scale models.