Terminal Objective (TO): Describe the shape of the Earth
Enabling Objective (EO):
- Define spheroid, ellipsoid, and geoid
- Explain the ellipsoid of revolution and its relationship to the Geoid
- Describe the characteristics of height systems (e.g. dynamic, orthometric and normal heights).
- Differentiate between gravity related and ellipsoidal height.
TO: Describe a Datum
- Explain how the Earth is measured and the importance of distinguishing the difference between datums.
TO: Describe Map Projections
- Explain a generation globe, scale factor, and convergence.
- Explain principal and actual scale (and differentiate between them) and how scale varies on a projection.
- Explain the three types of projection (gnomonic, Orthographic, and stereographic).
- Explain standard line, great circle, and rhumbline.
- Explain secant and tangent case projections.
- Explain conformal and non-conformal.
- Explain the more commonly used projections and why. Provide examples.